Sydney University Sport & Fitness
For more info on other uni sports clubs.
Whenever you go out on the water it’s important to know what the weather is doing so its worth checking before you go.
- Sea Breeze : This website has base stations that give up to the minute information about what the weather is doing on the harbour.
- BOM : The government metrological service provides forecasts and other related weather information such as a group of pages that explain how the weather works.
- Weather Underground: Sydney An alternative source of more detailed general weather information.
Sydney Dinghy Clubs
Sydney Yacht Clubs
- Middle Harbour Yacht Club
The club is a great club for harbour and offshore yacht racing. Based at Spit Bridge, the club has racing all year round with various events to suite different needs. The club generally attracts north suburb people due to its easy access to the harbour.
Sailing Events at MHYC:
Wednesday – 1300hr start – 1700 – non-spinnaker – 25 yachts
Thursday Twilights – 1800hr start – 2030 – non spinnaker – 80 yachts
Saturday – mixture of events, Annual Pointscore, Special Events and other. Spinnaker and Non Spinnaker – 50-60 yachts
Offshore – Gillawa Shield – 6 events per year.
- Cruising Yacht Club of Australia
The club is famous for being the home of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. The Club also hosts other events all year around that attract both the best of Australia’s talent as well as the best from overseas for the big events.
- Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron
- Sydney Amateur Sailing Club
- Balmain Sailing Club
- Royal Prince Alfred Yacht Club (Pittwater on Sydney's Northern Beaches)
Useful Stuff or Not
- ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing
Before you do any race as a skipper it is important to understand race rules. Although knowing all of them is not necessary, knowing the basics such as which boat has right of way and how start lines work is important.Click Here
- Animated Knots
- Docking Game : Something for when you’re very bored and feel like procrastinating.
- Virtual Skipper 5 - PC Game : "Virtual Skipper, the ultimate in nautical simulations, is a must-have for all sailing fans. Take the helm of some of the most famous boats such as Class America, Open 60, Melges 24 or even Offshore Racer and sail to all four corners of the world on 14 of the best competitive sailing locales."
- Aerodynamics Of Teardrop Wingmasts : Recommended for those who have a serious interest in the scientific side of sailing. This is very relevant for people who use the Tasar as it explains the principle behind the rotating mast.